Categories
Health

Gabrielle Union Speaks Out Amid America's Got Talent Controversy


Gabrielle Union is publicly speaking out after her unexpected and controversial exit from America’s Got Talent.

On Wednesday, the actress took to Twitter to express her gratitude to fans after admitting she was feeling shaken and saddened after her ousting as a judge on the popular competition series.

“So many tears, so much gratitude. THANK YOU! Just when you feel lost, adrift, alone… you got me up off the ground. Humbled and thankful, forever ❤,” Union penned on Twitter.

News broke late last week that the actress as well as fellow judge Julianne Hough would not be returning for another season of America’s Got Talent: The Champions, which is set to premiere on January 6, 2020. The casting decision came amid a report, published by Variety on November 26, which alleged that Hough and Union had been cut after they “complained of toxic culture.” The report cites alleged racist incidents which Union urged producers to report to HR, according to insiders familiar with the show. The report also claims both Union and Hough “received excessive notes on their physical appearance” with Union being told her hair was “too black” for the show.

In another followup report published by Vulture, sources alleged that Union was described as “difficult” by fellow judge and show producer Simon Cowell as well as other producers. The report also claimed that Cowell asked Union not to take her complaints to NBC but instead address them with him personally—like her issue with Cowell continuously smoking indoors. Union is allergic to cigarette smoke and California law states employers can’t allow smoking in enclosed workspaces, but despite her complaints Union was told “no one could stop Cowell from smoking and that previous attempts by a fire marshal and NBC executives had been unsuccessful.” Vulture also confirmed that Union originally had a three-year contract with AGT.



Source link

Categories
Health

Selena Gomez Speaks Out Against 'Inhumane' Treatment of Immigrant Children at the Border


Following recent disturbing reports about the treatment of migrants, especially children, at U.S. Customs and Border Protection facilities in Texas, Selena Gomez spoke out on Instagram on Saturday (June 29), calling their living conditions “absolutely inhumane” and urging followers to also speak out against the children’s treatment.

According to a report by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit media organization based in the state, children have no soap, toothpaste, or diapers and are being forced to sleep on the floor in overcrowded detention centers.

“Kids in cages! Sleeping on concrete floors with aluminum blankets! No access to simple dignities! How is this still happening??? It’s absolutely inhumane to treat anyone like this let alone children. I can’t even imagine what they are going through. We need to get this to finally stop! Don’t stay silent on this human rights issue,” Gomez wrote, adding the hashtags #CloseTheCamps and #FamilesBelongTogether.

This isn’t the first time Gomez has voiced her concern for the families and children who are being separated at the border because of President Donald Trump’s immigration policies.

“It’s extremely disheartening,” Gomez told The Hollywood Reporter during the Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation premiere last year. “There’s a lot of confusion and anger. It’s definitely been affecting so many people who are close to me.”

She also tweeted in support of the Keep Families Together Marches that took place on June 30, 2018.

Earlier this month, reports MSN, the government argued in an appeals court that because the 1997 Flores agreement, which stipulates that migrant children must be housed in “safe and sanitary” conditions, doesn’t specifically mention items like toothbrushes and soap, they’re not directly required to provide those items.



Source link

Categories
Health

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Speaks at 2019 Women's March in New York City


Thousands of people throughout the United States and around the world took to the streets on Saturday, January 19, for the third annual Women’s March. Equipped with powerful signs and posters, marchers raised their voices in support of equal rights, healthcare, and social justice. The theme of justice echoed throughout the New York City march, where Rep. Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez addressed the crowd.

Ocasio-Cortez’s compelling speech began by noting that the third annual Women’s March was taking place just before Martin Luther King Jr. Day, something that she doesn’t think is a coincidence. “I believe this moment and where we are right now is a resurgence from where the Civil Rights Movement left off,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “We are here to carry the torch forward, because when we talked about racial and economic justice, racial and social justice, we started to really extend those issues to the issues of economic justice, environmental justice, and the intersectionality and interconnectedness of all of our fights.”

She went on to talk further about the concept of justice, using a powerful refrain to drive the notion home to the crowd. “Justice is not a concept we read about in a book,” she reminded the marchers. “Justice is about the water we drink. Justice is about the air we breathe. Justice is about how easy it is to vote. Justice is about how much ladies get paid…. Justice is about making sure that being polite is not the same thing as being quiet. In fact, often times, the most righteous thing you can do is shake the table.”

In addition to talking about the pursuit of justice, Ocasio-Cortez honed in on some of the political goals ahead: taking back the Senate and the White House. “We need to advance and fight for an America where all people are welcome and no people are left behind,” she said. “And I know that while this year has been historic, there’s a lot more congresswomen left here in this audience right now. There’s a lot more city council women…and I know that there’s a future president out here too.”

Just as powerfully as her speech began, Ocasio-Cortez ended on a poignant note, touching upon some of the serious issues that Americans have faced over recent years and incorporating hope for a better tomorrow. “This is the time we’re gonna address poverty,” the politician promised. “This is the time we’re gonna address Flint. This is the time we’re gonna talk about Baltimore and the Bronx and wildfires and Puerto Rico. This is not just about identity; this is about justice, and this is about the America that we’re going to bring into this world.”

Let us slide into your DMs. Sign up for the Teen Vogue daily email.

Want more from Teen Vogue? Check this out: People Love Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Even More After Dance Video Meant to Shame Her





Source link

Categories
Health

Rose McGowan Speaks Out About Asia Argento Sexual Assault Allegations


A week after a New York Times report detailed allegations of sexual assault against Italian actress and #MeToo activist Asia Argento, outspoken friend and fellow activist Rose McGowan has shared her thoughts—and a message to Argento—with the public.

In a lengthy statement released by McGowan and published on multiple websites, the actress says of Argento, “be the person you wish Harvey could have been,” in response to her denial of the allegations.

According to the Times, Argento—who was one of the first women to publicly accuse producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault—secretly agreed to pay $380,000 to a young male actor named Jimmy Bennett who accused her of sexual misconduct in 2013. She has since denied the report, calling it “absolutely false.” The two had acted together in the 2004 movie, The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, playing mother and son.

When the report initially broke, McGowan simply tweeted, “I got to know Asia Argento ten months ago. Our commonality is the shared pain of being assaulted by Harvey Weinstein. My heart is broken. I will continue my work on behalf of victims everywhere.”

But on Monday, McGowan’s statement revealed much more. According to the statement, McGowan’s partner, Rain Dove, says Argento admitted to sleeping with Bennett in a text exchange that has since been turned over to authorities. The statement comes after entertainment website TMZ published screenshots of what they said to be a text conversation between Argento and a friend.

“I know that coming to me with those messages must have been hard for Rain because of that so I commend them for their bravery,” she continues in the statement.

McGowan maintains that she is still an ally to victims of abuse and that she, herself, has been humbled by the Argento allegations.

“To the people who have checked in with me to see if I’m alright—the answer is thank you and Yes. I’ll be fine. It’s sad to lose a friend connection, but what’s even more sad is what happened to Jimmy Bennet [sic],” the statement read.

“Whether or not the extortion case is true—it wasn’t fair and it wasn’t right. It is the type of thing I fight against alongside so many. The reason I haven’t released a statement is because I’ve frankly been extremely humbled by this event…. I had to take a step back and realize that in my own activism while I fight hard with passion—I need to evolve. In the past I have been occasionally angry. As a victim I was justified in fiery feelings. But I know that those accused are the friends, parents, and family members of other people,” the statement reads. “There absolutely should be no leeway or tolerance for sexual assault. Hard stop. NONE. Victims also shouldn’t be told how they should react or what they should say about their abusers. However as allies to the victim and voyeurs of an event we should find a better way to balance support of the victim with due process for the accused. I’ve never claimed to be perfect. This week especially has made me come to terms with the fact that we all have a lot of growing to do, including myself.”

McGowan also addresses Argento directly. “Asia you were my friend. I loved you. You’ve spent and risked a lot to stand with the MeToo movement. I really hope you find your way through this process to rehabilitation and betterment,” she writes.

“Anyone can be be better—I hope you can be, too. Do the right thing. Be honest. Be fair. Let justice stay its course.”

Read the full statement here.

MORE: If We Want Men to Be a Part of #MeToo, We Have to Stop Gendering the Movement





Source link

Categories
Health

Halle Berry Speaks Up About Sexual Misconduct Accusations Against Her Former Manager Vincent Cirrincione


News broke on Friday that Halle Berry’s former manager and Taraji P. Henson’s current manager, Vincent Cirrincione, has been accused of sexual misconduct by nine women in a story published by The Washington Post. Berry, who ended her business relationship with Cirrincione three years ago after hearing rumors of sexual misconduct, opened up about her anger on Friday night.

Cirrincione had become known for helping women of color break into the entertainment industry after he helped raise Berry to stardom. But when eight African American women and one Asian American woman sought his representation, they allege he met them with sexually inappropriate behavior. According to The Washington Post, he allegedly asked some women for sex as a condition for working with them and when they refused, he would not take them on. One woman alleges he masturbated in front of her during the time he managed her.

“Yesterday I was saddened by the allegations against my former manager, Vincent Cirrincione, but today I’m sick after reading the horrifying detailed accounts of his abuse towards 9 women,” the actress said in an Instagram post.

“I’m livid that used me, and the role model he helped me become, to lure and manipulate innocent, vulnerable women of color for his predatory actions. I’m deeply hurt and I want these woman and countless others to know I see you. I hear you. You matter. I will fight for you,” she said.

This message comes after a statement that Berry issued earlier in the day, saying, “Over three years ago, a woman was on the radio saying that Halle Berry’s manager was her worst casting couch experience ever. That news literally stopped me in my tracks. I immediately confronted Vince about it, and he denied it completely,” she said. “But even with his denial, something didn’t feel right in my spirit, and with the possibility that it could be true, I immediately ended our over-25-year relationship.”

Berry, who has been a supporter for the Women’s March and Times Up Movement, said that while she never had any inappropriate experiences with Cirrincione, she has a “no tolerance policy” when it comes to allegations of misconduct.

Henson, however, said she never heard any kind of accusations. “I’ve never had any issue with this on any level,” she told The Washington Post. “He totally respected me.”

Cirrincione admitted to having affairs during his career, but maintains that they were all consensual and that he did not ask for sexual favors in return for representation.

Related Stories:
Post-Weinstein, These Are the Powerful Men Facing Sexual Harassment Allegations
Halle Berry Opens Up About the Lack of Diversity in Hollywood
Shonda Rhimes Wants to Ban the Phrase ‘Strong Female Leads’—and She’s Not Wrong





Source link

Categories
Health

Lena Dunham Speaks Out About Her Breakup With Jack Antonoff


It’s barely been 48 hours since news broke of Lena Dunham and Jack Antonoff’s breakup, but the Girls creator already appears to have reached the final stage of the breakup process: the wise and somewhat jaded “posting inspirational things about love on social media” stage. On Tuesday night Dunham logged on to Instagram Live for a philosophical riff on the transcendental qualities of true love.

“I’m wearing this ring that Jack gave me, and I’ll always wear it, because love is a really cool, powerful, eternal thing, and it doesn’t have to be defined the way we in Western culture define it, as beginnings and ends,” Dunham said in the video, according to E! News. “Things can be ‘You’re a drop of water and you reenter the ocean,'” she added. “Anyway, I really love you all, and I’m really thankful for the support, really thankful for the love.” Earlier on Tuesday the Lenny founder reposted a classic postbreakup #inspirational quote on her Instagram page. “❤️ forever love ❤️” she captioned the “#mindbodygram” repost, which reads, “Starting over is the beautiful moment where you choose yourself.”

E! was the first to report the breakup news, which was confirmed by a rep for both Dunham and Antonoff. “It was mutual,” a source said on Monday, adding that the breakup happened in December. “Jack and Lena were growing apart, and it just made sense for them to end their relationship where it was…. They want the best for each other no matter what. They are both moving on.” The duo started dating in 2012; the last red carpet they walked together was at the 2017 Grammy Awards last January.

Although the pair had been notably absent from each other’s social media posts for the past few months, in October 2017, Dunham penned a heartfelt tribute to the Bleachers frontman for Variety. “It’s safe to say that before Jack my life was full of far fewer sights,” she wrote. “He showed me the importance of making political statements using your public platform. He showed me the joy of collaboration.”

Related: Lena Dunham Is Tired of Talking About Whether Endometriosis Will Keep Her from Having Kids





Source link