Categories
Health

Demi Lovato Shut Down a Reporter for Writing a Headline About Her ‘Fuller Figure’


Listen up, haters, Demi Lovato and her “fuller figure” are speaking. After seeing a story in the Inquisitr with a headline about her “fuller figure,” Lovato took to her Instagram Story to call out the outlet for finding her body shape newsworthy: “I AM MORE THAN MY WEIGHT,” she wrote.

In her post Lovato—who has been open about her history with eating disorders—explained that “unlike the past,” the headline about her body didn’t necessarily trigger her. Instead, her issue with the article was that this publication, and the reporter behind the story, thought it was OK to be writing about her size at all. “I’m angry that people think it’s OK to write headlines about people’s body shapes,” she wrote. “Especially about a woman who has been so open about being in recovery from an eating disorder. I am not upset for myself but for anyone easily influenced by this diet culture.”

She goes on to call out “toxic” stories like this. “Too many people today base their ideal body weight off of what OTHERS tell us we should look like or weigh. Articles like this only contribute to that toxic way of thinking,” she wrote. “If you’re reading this: Don’t listen to negative diet culture talk. You are more than a number on a scale. And I am more than a headline about my body shape.”

But here’s where this story gets really awesome. The writer actually responded to Lovato and apologized to her personally, according to a screenshot of their conversation that she posted on Instagram. “You’re an incredible talent and you’re right, your body is not all you are,” the writer said. “This is a lesson learnt.”

The Inquisitr left the post—and the problematic headline—live in the interest of “transparency,” but added an author’s note. “Firstly, a sincere ‘Thank you’ to Demi Lovato for her grace and patience in our exchange,” it reads. “While I wrote this story with the best of intentions, I totally appreciate and understand her perspective on the matter and culture in general, and I truly appreciate her taking the time to have a dialogue with me about it. As Demi said to me, ‘Our voices are all we have to create the biggest change on this planet.'”

Lovato lives that message. The singer has an impressive history of using her voice to speak out about weight shaming, whether it has to do with her body or not. Earlier this year the artist responded to a horrifying fat-shaming ad on Instagram promoting a game involving “obese” vs. “pretty” princesses. “This is absolutely harmful to anyone who is easily influenced by societal pressures put on us by diet culture to constantly be losing weight in a world that teaches us to equate our value and worth with the way we look and especially anyone in recovery from an eating disorder,” she wrote in January. “So please Instagram, keep this bullsh*t off mine and others’ feeds who could easily be affected by this disgusting advertisement. With how aware people are becoming of mental health and mental illnesses, I expect you guys to know better by allowing this advertisement to be allowed on your app. And shame on the game.”

As Lovato put it in her post, “Change is made by raising your voice, speaking your truth, and spreading love and compassion, not hate.”



Source link

Categories
Health

Donald Trump Just Told White House Reporter Cecilia Vega She 'Never' Thinks


It’s probably no secret to most that President Donald Trump isn’t too happy with the press. From saying every outlet (other than a few of his personal favorites) disseminates “fake news” to repeatedly calling the press the “enemy of the people,” Trump isn’t shy about where he stands with journalists. But yet, somehow, he’s still able to shock us all by just how far the depths of his disdain for the media can go.

Take, for example, on Monday, when Trump told Cecilia Vega, the senior White House correspondent for ABC News (and winner of multiple Emmys) that she “never” thinks.

While giving a press conference in the White House Rose Garden to discuss the new trade agreement with Canada and Mexico, Trump, answering questions from reporters, called upon Vega. A brief pause followed as Vega stood up to grab the microphone. At that moment, Trump said with a smile, “she’s shocked that I picked her. Like in a state of shock.” Vega quickly responded, “I’m not, thank you, Mr. President.”

It appeared Trump may have misunderstood her, and replied, “That’s OK, I know you’re not thinking, you never do.” Vega, a consummate professional replied, “I’m sorry?” and continued on with her question. Even then, however, Trump continued to be dismissive. Vega asked the president about the ongoing FBI investigation into allegations Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, however, all Trump wanted to do was discuss trade. He later returned to Vega to answer her question.

Vega tweeted after the news conference, “A news conference means you get to ask whatever question you want to ask. #FirstAmendment.”

However, other journalists were quick to jump on social media to defend Vega and note that her line of questioning was entirely in reason.

“I very sincerely hope the president does indeed to @CeciliaVega to answer her respectful and entirely appropriate question on Brett Kavanaugh,” Hallie Jackson, chief White House correspondent for NBC News tweeted. “The White House, and POTUS, know they can’t dictate the content of questions. And the pres. has often taken off-topic Qs before.”

“Wow. @CeciliaVega asks Trump about limiting FBI investigation into Kavanaugh allegations,” Karen Travers, an ABC News reporter also covering the White House shared. “He doesn’t want to talk that, says he wants to talk trade. She follows w/Q about if it will pass Congress. Pushes again on Kavanaugh, still doesnt want to answer. WH aide GRABS mic from her.”

And as Vega’s ABC producer Alisa Wiersema shared, Trump apparently missed her extensive coverage of the trade deal already: “Took a post-GMA nap after a morning of helping @CeciliaVega report on trade, and woke up to this exchange,” she wrote. “Seems like the President didn’t tune in to see her already having covered his trade deal extensively today.”

Maybe next time we can hope for better. Maybe.

Related Content:

Donald Trump’s History of Calling Women ‘Dogs’ Just Got Longer With New Omarosa Tweet

Donald Trump Takes Aim at the ‘Me Too Generation’ at Montana Rally





Source link

Categories
Health

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Holds Back Tears When Kid Reporter Asks About School Shootings


On Wednesday, 13-year-old Benje Choucroun made a special appearance at a White House press briefing for his role as a writer for Time for Kids magazine. And, as any good reporter would do, Choucroun came prepared with a few questions, one of which left White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders nearly in tears.

During the briefing, Sanders smiled, pointed to the back and called on Choucroun to ask his question. The middle schooler, who currently attends Marin Country Day School in California, proudly stood up and explained, “At my school, we recently had a lockdown drill. One thing that affects mine and other student’s mental health is the worry that we or our friends could get shot at school.” He then asked, “Specifically, can you tell me what the administration has done and will do to prevent these senseless strategies.”

Sanders immediately jumped into an answer — as press secretaries tend to do — but this time, her voice shook as she appeared to be holding back tears.

“I think that as a kid and certainly as a parent, there is nothing more terrifying than for a kid to go to school and not feel safe, so I’m sorry that you feel that way,” Sanders replied. “This administration takes it seriously and the school safety commission that the president convened is meeting this week, again, an official meeting, to discuss the best ways forward and how we can do every single thing within our power to protect kids within our schools and to make them feel safe and to make their parents feel good about dropping them off.”

Following the briefing, CNN’s Dana Bash commented that “It looked like it was going to potentially be a light-hearted moment. And he had the toughest question in the room.” MSNBC’s Hallie Jackson called it “an unusual moment from a very articulate young man.”

Since January, there have been at least two dozen school shootings across the nation, which according to CNN equates to at least one school shooting per week so far. But, in the wake of these tragedies, it appears to be the voices of children, not adults, that ring out the loudest. Following the February school shooting in Parkland, Flordia, students affected by the senseless violence have come together to push lawmakers to take action. And their efforts appear to be working.

According to the Sun Sentinal, since the Parkland shooting that claimed the lives of 17 people, “14 states have changed their laws, while six major actions have been undertaken by cities and counties. Meanwhile, 10 companies tweaked their policies related to guns and 19 businesses have cut ties with gun lobbying groups.”

President Donald Trump is expected to visit the survivors of the latest school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas on Thursday. That shooting, which took place on May 18, claimed the lives of 10 people, including both students and teachers. However, on May 4, Trump walked back on his promise to the Parkland students that he will be tougher on the National Rifle Association. Instead, while speaking at an NRA conference, Trump enthusiastically told the crowd, “Your Second Amendment rights are under siege. But they will never, ever be under siege as long as I’m your president.”

Related Content:
Parkland Students Show Support for Survivors of Maryland School Shooting on Twitter
Two Parkland Students Have a Message for People in Power: ‘Do the Things We Can’t’
Santa Fe High School Shooting Survivors Call for an End to Gun Violence ‘Inaction’





Source link

Categories
Health

Donald Trump Hasn't Apologized for His Treatment of Women, so This Reporter Did It for Him


Since The New York Times first published their investigation into Harvey Weinstein’s alleged pattern of sexual harassment and misconduct, dozens of men in politics, media, and entertainment have been exposed for their countless misdeeds. With each new story comes the standard apology from a man in power—they ask for the public’s forgiveness and express various levels of regret for their reported behavior.

But throughout this entire reckoning, one man has been unflinchingly unapologetic: President Donald Trump.

As it stands now, at least 19 women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Trump. Not only has he made no effort to apologize for these allegations, he, in turn, has branded his accusers as liars. And in an instance when he did express remorse—see: post–Access Hollywood tape and post–”grab them by the pussy”—he then tried to rewrite the narrative among his colleagues and claim that the leaked tape was a fake. It’s maddening under normal circumstances but even more unbelievable when you consider that he’s the President.

To help us assuage all our frustrations, Vox’s Liz Plank took it upon herself to create a can’t-miss mash-up that features Trump doing what women everywhere have hoped he’d do for months: apologizing for his behavior. Trump may never say actually say “sorry,” but this is the next best thing.

Watch the clip below:





Source link

Categories
Health

Kourtney Kardashian Just Joked to a Reporter About Being Pregnant


The Kardashian-Jenner gals are gas-lighting America right now. Three women in the family—Khloé Kardashian, Kim Kardashian, and Kylie Jenner—are reportedly expecting children. Kim confirmed she and Kanye are having another baby via surrogate, but Khloé and Kylie have kept mum about the other rumors. Instead, they’re carrying on with their routine glamorous lives—trips to the gym, selfies, photo-shoots, large salads, etc.—and letting the world freak out about these maybe-babies. Their silence is driving everyone to an early grave, myself included. I normally care deeply about Kylie’s Lamborghini Snapchats, but now every time she posts one, I’m just like, “Are you pregnant, though?!” I know I’m not alone.

Kourtney Kardashian isn’t helping the situation, either. The eldest Kardashian-Jenner sister decided it’d be funny to joke that she’s also pregnant in a new interview with Grazia. The story quite literally opens with this quote from Kourtney: “I’m pregnant!”

She’s obviously joking—the writer clarifies that in the third paragraph of the piece—but let’s just think this through for a second. It’s 2017. I guarantee you 50 percent of the people who see the Grazia headline (“Kourtney Kardashian: ‘I’m Pregnant Too!'”) and the first line of the article will spiral out of control. Twitter will melt down. The Internet will shatter. Kim will spontaneously decide to throw her iPhone in the ocean. The world will descend further into madness because Kourtney thought it’d be cute to joke about being pregnant.

But, girl, our nerves are shot. I can’t spend more time thinking about Kylie and Khloé being pregnant. Will Kylie make her announcement on Snapchat? Will Khloé make hers at the gym? How will Kim’s song “Jam” be involved, if at all? My eye has been twitching for days. Now is not the time for jokes. Now is the time for a Keeping Up With the Kardashians super-cut trailer where Khloé and Kylie just say the word “pregnant” over and over. That will help America sleep soundly again.

Related Stories:

Kendall Jenner and Kourtney Kardashian Got Very Tipsy at a Wine Tasting in This KUWTK Video

Kourtney Kardashian’s Sparkly Airport Outfit Is Surprisingly Affordable

What’s the Deal With Kourtney Kardashian’s Really, Really Intense Detox?



Source link

Categories
Health

This Emotional Video Captures a Reporter Aid in Texas Flooding Rescue Effort


Tropical Storm Harvey continues to ravage Texas, bringing with it destructive winds, record flooding, and damage officials are calling “catastrophic, unprecedented, and life-threatening.” CNN reports that more than 1,000 people were rescued overnight Saturday from the flash floods, which in some places outside Houston have risen to more than 17 feet. At least two have died from the storm, and Houston mayor Sylvester Turner announced the wind and rain is expected to last at least four to five more days.

Since Harvey made landfall, Twitter has become as steady feed for those seeking both help and information, with photos of the damage sweeping far and wide and families trapped using the social network site as a way to make contact with local authorities, neighbors with boats, and rescue workers.

Among the many gripping rescue stories emerging is one of the KHOU 11 News team and its reporter Brandi Smith.

Smith was on the ground with her camera crew reporting on the rising flood waters, when she noticed a tractor-trailer had become submerged beneath the road they were on. Inside, the driver was conscious but stuck—the water in his cab quickly getting deeper.

“Sir, are you OK? Can you get to the top of your vehicle? Can you get to the top of your truck? Do not climb into the water,” she called out to him, looking around for help. Miraculously, moments later a sheriff’s truck drives by hauling a rescue boat. Smith turns around and starts flagging down the officers to come to the man’s rescue.

After giving the Harris County Sheriff’s officers the rundown, she turns back to the man in the truck. “Sir, they’re putting the boat in just now! They are on their way!” she yelled.

Still live, Smith stayed rolling throughout the entire 10-minute rescue mission, even though the camera crew didn’t realize they’d been knocked off the air due to flooding at KHOU 11’s headquarters in downtown Houston. She says at one point during the video, voice crackling as she speaks, “I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be to be in that place right now. Put yourself in that place: your car is filling with water. Help is on the way, he is incredibly lucky.”

Smith later posted the entire, chilling rescue on her Facebook page to let viewers know the truck driver had made it out safely. At the end, she breaks from “reporter” mode to give the man a hug, nearly in tears that he’s unharmed.

“I just thank God that you all were here to put me back on land safely,” the driver tells her.

With hundreds of thousands estimated to be affected by the storm—and further catastrophic levels of rainfall expected to hit Texas into the next week—there are myriad ways you can help relief efforts now. Various charities are taking donations, including the Salvation Army, the American Red Cross (text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to relief efforts), the Texas Diaper Bank, and Save the Children. You may also consider donating to the SPCA of Texas to help animals harmed or displaced by the storm, as well as to GoFundMe, which created a hub for all its grassroots Harvey-related fundraisers.

Additionally, Airbnb has created a portal for people in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio to offer free room and board for those affected by Harvey. The company is waiving all service fees between August 23 and September 1.

For up-to-the minute information on the storm (along with evacuation instructions from officials), NBC Nightly News has compiled a comprehensive Twitter thread. Follow it here.



Source link