Categories
Health

The Queen Is Reportedly ‘Hurt’ About Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Stepping Down as Senior Royals


Yesterday (January 8), Meghan Markle and Prince Harry dropped a bombshell announcement on their Instagram feed: they’re planning to step down from their roles as “senior” royals and work to become “financially independent.”

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,” they wrote.

The world was shocked by the decision, and according to reports, so was Prince Harry’s family—including Queen Elizabeth. Palace aides told Vanity Fair that senior royals were “hurt” and “devastated” by the decision to make the announcement without going through proper channels. And, reportedly, Prince Harry’s relationship with his grandmother (and boss) has been strained for some time.

“Things have been quite difficult since the wedding,” a source told Vanity Fair. “The Queen has been rather hurt by some of Harry’s actions particularly around the time of the wedding. She feels she has done everything to smooth the path for them but this could well be the last straw.”

There are still about a million questions as to how this will all work, and based on Buckingham Palace’s statement, those decisions have not necessarily been made yet. “Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work though,” it said.

“Nothing has been ruled in or out, it’s too early to say, but it is hard to have an HRH title while working on a commercial basis if that’s what they plan to do,” a source told VF.

What we do know for sure is that this situation is quite involved, and we likely won’t have a clear picture of what Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s new life will really look like any time soon.



Source link

Categories
Health

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Stepping Down as ‘Senior’ Royals: Everything We Know


Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made headlines on January 8, when they announced they would be stepping back as “senior members” of the royal family. They released a joint statement that explained their reasoning, but there are still plenty of questions about the decision, what it means, and what the Sussex name will look like moving forward.

According to a joint statement the couple posted on Instagram, their decision to create some space as members of the royal family came after lots of careful consideration. They said they still plan to “fully support Her Majesty The Queen” while also separating themselves financially from the institution. The situation is complex and details are still unclear, but here’s what we do know so far.

Their statement:

The statement that the couple posted on Instagram reads, “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”

The reasoning:

It’s unclear why, exactly, they’re taking a step back. While the announcement came as a surprise, there has been plenty of speculation that something like this might be happening. Markle and Prince Harry have each dealt with serious tabloid and media scrutiny. It got so bad, in fact, that they made the decision to pursue legal action against several U.K. publications last year.

They opened up about some of the struggles they’ve faced in the documentary Harry and Meghan: An Africa Journey. “I don’t think anybody could understand that, but in all fairness, I had no idea—which probably sounds difficult to understand here—but when I first met my now husband, my friends were really happy because I was so happy, but my British friend said to me, ‘I’m sure he’s great, but you shouldn’t do it, because the British tabloids will destroy your life.’ And I very naively…we’re American, we don’t have that there, ‘What are you talking about? That doesn’t make any sense. I’m not in tabloids!’ I didn’t get it. So yeah, it’s been complicated,” she said in the film.

She added later, “I really tried to adopt this British sensibility of a ‘stiff upper lip.’ I really tried, but I think that what that does internally is probably really damaging—and the biggest thing I know is that I never thought this would be easy, but I thought it would be fair, and that’s the part that’s really hard to reconcile. I don’t know, just take each day as it comes.”



Source link

Categories
Health

Buckingham Palace’s Response to Meghan and Harry Stepping Down Is…Interesting


Buckingham Palace has released a response to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s announcement that they’re taking a stepping down as “senior” members of the royal family.

“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through,” the palace said, per royals reporter Omid Scobie.

See the statement for yourself, below:

Earlier today Markle and Prince Harry revealed, via Instagram, their plans to change up the way they work in 2020. “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,” they wrote on the Sussex Royal official IG page.

The duke and duchess continued, “It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.”

Buckingham Palace’s statement seems to imply Markle and Prince Harry’s big, declarative announcement is coming a bit out of left field. It’s possible higher-ups at the palace were privy to these discussions but weren’t expecting any decisions to be made yet. But this statement is very brief, so there’s no way to know for sure what, exactly, is going on.

We’ll keep you posted with any more updates.



Source link

Categories
Health

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Stepping Down as ‘Senior’ Members of the Royal Family


In a bombshell announcement released Wednesday, January 8, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry revealed they] stepping down as “senior members” of the royal family.

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment,” the Sussexes wrote in an Instagram post.

They continued, “We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”

It’s unclear what this means, exactly, for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. But rumors that something like this was happening have been brewing for a while.

“It is true that Harry and Meghan will spend a fair amount of time in Canada over the next couple of months and possibly going forward too,” a source told the Sun this week. “Right now they are starting talks with their family about their plans for the future. Those conversations are at a very early stage. There is a very careful and serious process to go through, which they are going to respect. But it is clear they are on a different and unique path, and they are very much thinking about what the future looks like for them.”

The social media reactions to this news are coming in swift. Below, just a few of the best ones:

Royals expert Omid Scobie tweeted, “In 2020 Harry and Meghan will be changing how they work with the media, to ensure diverse and open access to their work.” He then listed what they specifically intend to do.

This story is still unfolding.



Source link

Categories
Health

Women Having Been ‘Stepping Up’ Forever—Now it’s Time for Men to Elevate Us


Much of the conversation this week has stemmed from comments made by Recording Academy president Neil Portnow, who was asked about why the 2018 Grammys were so conspicuously male. His reply—now infamous—included a sentence about how women need to “step up.” Fans and musicians alike responded uproariously, including a declarative handwritten letter from Pink, who proclaimed, “Women in music don’t need to ‘step up,’ women have been stepping up since the beginning of time,” and—as of Friday—several female music executives are calling for Portnow’s resignation.

Facing backlash, Portnow since attempted to walk back the statement, insisting that his words were used out of context, and did damage control by announcing Thursday that the academy would put together an independent task force, designed to review biases and barriers that keep women from advancing in the industry.

All well and good, but let’s not forget that the problem with telling women to “step up,” which he addresses in his second statement, is that it completely erases the obstacles women in music—and in the work force—have to overcome on a daily basis. Issues like lower pay, lack of opportunity, sexism and—as we’ve come to understand more recently—the pervasive problem of sexual harassment. The idea that Portnow purveyed isn’t new. Successful white men across all industries are often so mired in privilege that they often peddle this false equivalence: Women are actually being given fair opportunities, but they’re not doing enough to claim them.

Women in power, including politicians like Kirsten Gillibrand and Hillary Clinton, know this narrative well. “The larger question about Gillibrand, though, is whether she is too transparently opportunistic to be a viable candidate,” The Daily Beast’s Ciro Scotti wrote in a take-down piece about the senator. After urging colleagues to demand Al Franken, accused of sexual misconduct, resign, Gillibrand was met with gendered criticism reminiscent of Clinton’s 2016 campaign. In the piece, titled “The Trouble With Kirsten Gillibrand,” Scotti suggests that the senator led the charge against sexual harassment as part of her “relentless positioning for a possible presidential run in 2020.”

We should step up to the plate and take what’s ours, but when we do, it bothers you.

When women are finally afforded high-ranking positions, having fought tooth and nail to get there, they’re met with either sexist narratives like Portnow’s insistence on “stepping up,” or misogynistic tirades that they’re actually trying too hard. We should step up to the plate and take what’s ours, but when we do, it bothers you.

Like during Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. She “stepped up” as an attempt to become the first female president of the United States, and men criticized her for being “unlikeable” and “ruthless.” Simultaneously, the women who fought to get Hillary elected—the women who also were “stepping up”—were labeled as voting with their vaginas.

And unfortunately, sexism doubles down on women of color. Senator Kamala Harris was criticized for not being “courteous” in a Senate Intelligence Hearing—a gendered condemnation her male counterparts would never receive. She’s also been censured by white women, including Senator Diane Feinstein, who insinuated that Harris was too inexperienced for a presidential run—as if that mattered for our current president—or our last one.

The most astounding part about the challenges women face in the workplace, which seem so clear and unmistakable, is that many men, especially ones like Portnow, who’ve held power for a long time, don’t even recognize it—or have decided to turn a blind eye. That’s when the vitriolic chauvinism seeps through the cracks. In 2014 an audience member at a Tribeca Innovation Week panel asked panelist Aaron Sorkin about the lack of female protagonists in film. Sorkin, the decorated writer behind The West Wing, The Newsroom, and more recently, the Jessica Chastain vehicle Molly’s Game, agreed that there was a disparity between who was buying movie tickets—women—and who was up onscreen. He responded, “These decisions aren’t made entirely by men. There are roughly as many women who can green-light a film in Hollywood as there are men,” naming Amy Pascal of Sony and Stacy Snider at Dreamworks as examples. This is a farce—a 2017 study showed that women make up just 31 percent of film executives, and 18 percent of the 250 top grossing films of the year included female directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors, and cinematographers—a statistic that has barely budged in 20 years.

Women have always been “stepping up.” The problem is that we often see no return.

Yet, Sorkin answered the audience member’s question by insisting that female-led scripts just aren’t out there—they don’t exist, and if they do, they’re not very good. “I’ve been reading a lot recently about how a female-driven movie like, say, Bridesmaids is looked at as a fluke.” He continued, “That’s a premise that suggests that studio executives have piles of scripts as good as Bridesmaids on their desks. They don’t…. I promise you nothing but capitalism drives decision-making in Hollywood.” Again, a farce.

Sorkin went on to write and direct his first female-led narrative, Molly’s Game, in 2017—because if women wouldn’t step up to write female characters, who better to do the job than a man? Actually, the top three grossing movies of 2017 were female-led films (The Last Jedi, Beauty and the Beast, and Wonder Woman), but they were all written by male screenwriters. Both The Last Jedi and Wonder Woman were hailed for their propulsive feminist narratives, so why weren’t women given the opportunity to tell such stories? It’s insulting. If that doesn’t prove a disparity in job accessibility, I’m not sure what will.

While men like Sorkin or Scotti are peddling sexist rhetoric, their words weren’t necessarily overt. The problem is that this sort of bombast engenders more dangerous opinions about women in the workplace. Take James Damore for example, the scandalized ex–Google employee who wrote a manifesto on working women, proclaiming that Silicon Valley doesn’t have a gender disparity problem but rather women are just too “neurotic” to achieve superior positions. Damore claimed “personality differences” were the reason that women are underrepresented in tech, not lack of opportunity. This is obviously severely untrue, extremely insulting, and a dismal reflection of old-school views of gender roles.

Women cannot be elevated if the men who hold the keys to the gates won’t open them.

But like Pink wrote, women have always been “stepping up.” The problem is that we often see no return. Men are still holding the topmost positions of power in our country across most industries, and obviously in politics, and they’re not sharing a piece of the pie—and Hollywood is the perfect example. This year zero female directors were nominated in the direction category at the Golden Globes. Many feel that Dee Rees and Greta Gerwig were snubbed, considering Gerwig’s Lady Bird won the prize for Best Musical or Comedy Motion Picture, and Mudbound was nominated for four Oscars.

At the Grammys, zero women were nominated for Record of the Year. In the Best Pop Solo Performance Category, four women were nominated alongside Ed Sheeran, but Sheeran took the trophy. Alessia Cara was literally the only woman awarded a solo Grammy this year. Even when we do the work—great work, work that returns profit—we’re being pushed out, silenced, snubbed. Women cannot be elevated if the men who hold the keys to the gates won’t open them.

The thing about privilege is: If you have it, it can be hard to look past it—but we must. We must push forward and elevate the voices of women, especially women of color, in the workplace. Some men, like Sorkin or Portnow, have been so steeped in their own straight, white, male privilege that they literally can’t even imagine what it’s like to face systemic challenges. The idea that women should “step up” or “try harder” or “run more” is silly—we’ve been doing that for years, you just won’t permit us to succeed. We “step up” every damn day, but the road to equality is littered with hurdles—and it’s time men share the responsibility of knocking those hurdles down.



Source link