The couple reportedly already has some big plans in the works to celebrate his first birthday. An Us Weekly source says they are going to be “celebrating at Queen Elizabeth II’s Scottish estate, Balmoral … and have talked to the queen about having a picnic on the grounds.” The source goes on to say the queen is “very excited” for the celebration. It’s been previously reported that the Sussexes were set to spend some time at Balmoral with (Prince) Harry’s grandmother this summer—though with all travel plans right now, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to assume things could be on hold given the uncertain and ever-changing guidelines around the coronavirus pandemic.
Queen Elizabeth II will reportedly gift Archie with a “beautiful rocking horse,” with the Us Weekly source noting he loves the animals and “squeals with excitement” when he sees them. Markle also reportedly plans to have animal-themed cupcakes for at least one of the parties for her nature-loving son. “Archie loves being outside, and you can already tell he’s inherited [Prince] Charles’s passion for nature,” a source told Us Weekly. “He gets so excited at seeing all the trees. Now that he’s just walking, he’s into everything—he’ll often end up covered in mud!”
The outlet says there are also plans for a North American celebration. “Meghan’s mom, Doria [Ragland], and BFFs Jessica Mulroney and Abigail Spencer will be invited to stay with their families for the weekend,” a source said. The Sussexes recently relocated to Markle’s hometown of Los Angeles, where her mother also lives.
As the family hunkers down in L.A. amid the current global crisis, they’ve also had to deal with a tweet from President Donald Trump about who’s paying for their security. On March 29 he wrote, “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
A spokesperson for the couple quickly responded that they never had any plans to ask the U.S. government for money to cover their security detail and were paying for it privately.