As much as 10 centimetres of snow is expected to fall in the mountain parks by Friday morning, Environment Canada says in a weather alert on its website.
The snowfall warnings apply to Banff National Park — including around the Banff and Lake Louise townsites — as well as Jasper National Park.
“Snow developed last night and will continue today and tonight over portions of Highway 93,” the agency said in a release.
“Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. If visibility is reduced while driving, turn on your lights and maintain a safe following distance.”
There are also several rainfall warnings in place for much of west-central Alberta.
Total rainfall amounts of 50 to 80 millimetres are expected in Edmonton and areas south and west of the capital, including:
- Hinton and Grande Cache.
- Nordegg, Forestry Trunk Road Highway 734.
- Rocky Mountain House, Caroline.
- Drayton Valley, Devon, Rimbey and Pigeon Lake.
- Spruce Grove, Morinville, Mayerthorpe and Evansburg.
- Whitecourt, Edson, Fox Creek, Swan Hills.