A 37-year-old man died after being electrocuted near the community of Bloodvein First Nation in eastern Manitoba.
It happened just before 11 p.m. Wednesday, according to a spokesperson with Bloodvein First Nation Construction Inc.
The man was moving a piece of heavy duty equipment along the highway near the community when there was some kind of arcing from a power line.
The machinery didn’t actually come into contact with the wires but the arc was enough to cause the equipment to stall. The man got out to see why and when he went to get back into the machine, he grabbed the door handle and was electrocuted, the construction company spokesperson said.
He said the company has never had a fatality before and they are devastated because everyone on the crew is like family.
The RCMP is trying to get information on the incident.
Bloodvein is located about 300 kilometres north of Winnipeg, on the eastern shore of Lake Winnipeg.