The reopening of Cape Breton’s Donkin coal mine, which shut down last week for a brief summer vacation period, has been delayed by a rockfall.
Canada’s only operating underground coal mine was scheduled to start back in limited production Monday morning, but the Nova Scotia Department of Labour said maintenance workers discovered a rockfall partway along the mine entranceway around 1 a.m.
There were no injuries.
The rockfall is not near the coal-cutting operations, which are deep under the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Cape Breton Island near the community of Donkin.
Province investigating
Scott Nauss, senior director of inspections and compliance with the Labour Department, said it’s too soon to say what happened or how it might impact mine operations.
“It’s too early to confirm the size,” he said. “We actually haven’t had a chance to get underground yet.
“The company has voluntarily kept the mine out of production. We’re going to do an inspection today, and some more enforcement activity could come out of our inspection.”
The mine has been limited to active work in two small sections since January after a series of roof falls last year.
Nauss said it was surprising that a rockfall occurred in tunnel number 2, which is the main entranceway into and out of the mine.
He said the department would have more information after inspectors confirm the details, but it appears the latest rockfall occurred “relatively close to the surface.”
Nauss said a preliminary report from the mine operator indicates the rockfall was less than halfway along the main slope. The mine extends at least two kilometres out under the ocean.
“Any rockfall is taken very seriously,” he said.
“It needs to be reported to the [department] and we will inspect to ensure that the safeguards that are supposed to be in place were in place, and determine if additional safeguards are required.”
No one from mine operator Kameron Collieries was immediately available for comment.